Section: Cooking With Joe
Blogger: Joseph Clay
The colder temperatures have arrived and its time for me to whip up a batch of my not yet famous Sleepy Cougar Ranch (SCR) Chili.
Like my Chili I’m not yet a famous author which puts me in the category of a Starving Artist. That translates to Joe stays broke most of the time and cooks on a budget.
Speaking of Chili there is a funny tale about a chili cook off and a replacement judge. I guarantee you can’t read Texas Chili Cook – Off with out laughing.
Sleepy Cougar Ranch Chili
Yield, Cost and Time
This recipe will yield 6 – 8 oz servings.
The tasty SCR Chili dish will set you back around $25.00 if you have to purchases all the fixin’s. Of course it will be cheaper if you have any of the spices and/or other ingredients lying around the house.
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
What y’all will need.
- 1 – Box of Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit (Kit contains Packet of Chili Seasoning, Packet of Cayenne Pepper, Packet of Masa.)
- 2 lbs. Of Ground Beef (Can substitute with Chicken, Turkey or Venison.)
- 1 – 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 10 Mini Sweet Peppers
- 1 cup of water
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 – 10 oz. can of Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes with Habaneros
- 1 – 15.5 oz can of Chili Hot Beans
Now you can stop with the above ingredients and have some nice chili. Just follow the directions on back of the box. The only difference is replace the can of diced tomatoes with the can of Rotel. Chop the onion, green Bell Pepper, and the 10 mini peppers. Toss in the frying pan as you brown the meat.
I like my chili like the Queen, hot and feisty. To add a nice kick to the above chili and create Sleepy Cougar Ranch Chili you will need to add the following.
Lets Make It Sleepy Cougar Ranch Chili
- 1 Tablespoon of hot sauce (Your choice of brand.)
- 1 Tablespoon Pickled Jalapeno sauce (Your choice of brand)
- 1 Tablespoon of green pepper sauce (Your choice of brand.)
- 1 Tablespoon of chili powder seasoning (Your choice of brand.)
- 10 Peppers from the green pepper sauce.
- 10 Rounds (Slices) of Jalapeno Peppers from the pickled Jalapeno Slices
Prep – 20 minutes
- Chop onion, green bell pepper and 10 peppers from the pepper sauce. Combine in small bowl, set aside. (Ingredient bowl 1)
- Combine in a small bowl Packet of Chili Seasoning and Packet of Cayenne Pepper from the Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit with 1 Tablespoon of chili powder seasoning. Mix the powder together and set bowl aside. (Ingredient bowl 2)
- Slice 10 Mini Sweet Peppers to make rounds . Use different colors to make the chili look good.
- Combine the mini sweet pepper rounds in a small bowl with the 10 Rounds (Slices) of Jalapeno Peppers. Set bowl to the side. (Ingredient bowl 3)
- Combine 1 Tablespoon of hot sauce, 1 Tablespoon Pickled Jalapeno sauce, 1 Tablespoon of green pepper sauce in small bowl, Mix well, set bowl to the side. (Ingredient bowl 4)
Time to get Cookin’ – 30 minutes
- Place the 2 lbs of ground beef (or meat of your choice) in large skillet. Add Ingredient bowl 1 . Brown and Drain Fat.
- Place the drained ground beef (or meat if your choice) in large pot. Add 1 cup of water, Ingredient bowls 2,3,4. Followed by the tomato sauce and Rotel. Mix ingredients well using a wooden spoon, cookware is too expensive to be scratching it up using a metal spoon.
- Cover and Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili hot beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking…or after chili has been simmering for ten minutes.
Note: I do not use the Masa to thicken up the chili. If you like thick chili add it as directed on back of the Carroll Shelby box.
You can top of your creation with shredded cheese, sour cream or grated Parmesan cheese. My personal preference is to crumble up either soda crackers or corn bread sticks in mine, but to each you own.
If I get craving for this dish in the summer I’ll cook up a batch and add it to some grilled hot dogs or burgers.
There you go, I hope you enjoy your chili!
[Publishers note: The opinions and/or endorsements in this blog are the blogger’s and only published by ThunderHorse Publishing. The opinions and/or endorsements do not necessarily represent the views of ThunderHorse Publishing.
None of the material, written and/or photographs on this blog is authorized for use in promoting and/or any type of media use pertaining to Author Joseph Clay. Authorized book related and other information pertaining to the authors novels and other writing topics can be found by visiting one of the following sites:
Official Authors Blog
Electronic Press Kit (EPK) ]
-ThunderHorse Publishing Nashville, Tennessee ©2018