Blogger: Joseph Clay
From Texas to Tennessee. This weekend the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series will be in my state of residence, Tennessee. The Food City 500 will be ran at the Bristol Motor Speedway on Sunday April 7, 2019. Start time: 2pm Eastern/1pm central.
Before we get to the blog I would like take this time to give a shout out and a thank you to Darrell Waltrip. After 19 years of being the cornerstone of FOX NASCAR this will be his last season in the booth. DW the NASCAR nation will miss your insight and of course hearing your famous phase at the start of each race. ‘Boogity Boogity Boogity.’
Before his booth time with Fox, Darrell Waltrip (DW) had an illustrious career in NASCAR that started in 1972, at the age 25. He spent 29 years behind the wheel running 809 races with 84 wins. Darrell finished in the top five 276 times, top ten 390 times and won the poll 59 times. Mister Waltrip won three Championship and was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of fame in 2012.
My friends that’s a total of 48 years of dedication to NASCAR. ‘Boogity Boogity Boogity.’ to you Darrell Waltrip (DW) for making NASCAR on and off the track a pleasure for all of us.
Now to the racein’. Last week #48 Jimmy Johnson was sitting on the poll at Texas. This Week #9 Chase Elliott won that spot at Bristol. Way to go Hendrick Motor Sports for taking the poll two consecutive weeks.
Although Elliott won the poll #12 Ryan Blaney had the fastest car for much of the day Friday. The #12 Ford set the track record in Round 2 with a 14.528-second run. He will be starting in the third slot.
#48 Jimmy Johnson is holing down the tenth spot at Bristol.
Season Recap through Seven Races
- Daytona 500: Winner #11 Denny Hamlin – Toyota
- Quick Trip 500 (Atlanta): Winner #2 Brad Keselowski – Ford
- Pennzoil 400 (Las Vegas): Winner #22 Joey Logano – Ford
- NASCAR at Phoenix: Winner #18 Kyle Busch – Toyota
- Auto Club 400 (Fontana): Winner #18 Kyle Busch (2) – Toyota
- STP 500 (Martinsville): Winner #2 Brad Keselowski (2) – Ford
- O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 (Texas): Winner #11 Denny Hamlin (2) – Toyota
My favorites both are on the Hendrick team. #48 Jimmy Johnson and #9 Chase Elliott both started the Texas race in great spots. #48 Johnson was on the poll and #9 Elliott was in the third slot. I was sure Jimmy or Chase was going to Win, Place, or Show. Jimmy did finish in the top five crossing the finish line in fifth. Chase who was running strong and in the top ten, decided to take four tires on the last pit stop. The problem with that, the other teams only took two. #9 Elliott finished a disappointing 13th.
#48 Jimmy Johnson:
- Daytona 500: Finished 9th (Running).
- Quick Trip 500 (Atlanta): Finished 24th (Running).
- Pennzoil 400 (Las Vegas): Finished 19th (Running).
- NASCAR at Phoenix: Finished 9th (Running).
- Auto Club 400 (Fontana): Finished 17th (Running).
- STP 500 (Martinsville): Finished 24th (Running).
- O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 (Texas): Finished 5th (Running)
#9 Chase Elliot.
- Daytona 500: Finished 17th (DNF).
- Trip 500 (Atlanta): Finished 19th (Running).
- Pennzoil 400 (Las Vegas): Finished 9th (Running).
- NASCAR at Phoenix: Finished 14th (Running).
- Auto Club 400 (Fontana): Finished 11th (Running) .
- STP 500 (Martinsville): Finished 2nd (Running).
- O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 (Texas): Finished 13th (Running)
Joe’s Picks for Bristol
- #9 Chase Elliott (Win, Place, or Show.)
- #11 Denny Hamlin (Win, Place, or Show.)
- #12 Ryan Blaney (Win, Place, or Show.)
- #22 Joey Logano (Top 5)
- #48 Jimmy Johnson (Top10)
Till next time Boogity Boogity Boogity!
- Fox News (Darrell Waltrip announces retirement from Fox Sports NASCAR team)
- Racing Reference Info (Darrell Waltrip Complete Racing Stats)
[Publishers note: The opinions and/or endorsements in this blog are the blogger’s and only published by ThunderHorse Publishing. The opinions and/or endorsements do not necessarily represent the views of ThunderHorse Publishing.ThunderHorse Publishing
None of the material, written and/or photographs on this blog is authorized for use in promoting and/or any type of media use pertaining to Author Joseph Clay. Authorized book related and other information pertaining to the authors novels and other writing topics can be found by visiting one of the following sites:
Official Authors Blog
Electronic Press Kit (EPK) ]